Friday, January 7, 2011

Maylyn.

My hopes of getting released from the hospital on Sunday
were dashed when Maylyn started to get worse.
Even after the surgery she was still in a lot of pain.
And then she started to display other symptoms that had the doctors speculating on a completely different diagnosis.
I've decided not to post the diagnosis publicly on the internet, but I'll tell you it's rare and she'll require ongoing monitoring.
Once they made the diagnosis, they started treatment and within half a day you could see she was improving.  The difference was amazing.

We did eventually get released on Wednesday afternoon after a 9 day stay in the hospital.
The new children's hospital is wonderful and aside from one bad nurse, the staff was so great with Maylyn.

The poor baby went through so much.
She got blood drawn 3 times.
Went through 2 CT scans.
One treatment session and a another procedure.
She had her IV moved between both hands multiple times.

She's such a trooper.  I don't know many people that could handle everything she went through and she's 5!

It was so hard for me to watch her in pain and not be able to do anything.
I had a couple of mini meltdowns.  And aside from running to my parent's house to shower (they live closer to the hospital than we do) I was by her side the entire time.

I'm extremely lucky to have the family and friends that I do.
My parents kept Kaeleigh for me almost the entire time we were there.
The Husband was so supportive and between him and my dad, they kept me fed and laughing and distracted so I didn't break down in front of Maylyn.
My dad was so amazing.  He spent nearly as much time at the hospital as I did.
And we had so many friends reach out to us and offer support and meals, I'm truly blessed and can't thank everyone enough.  It meant so much to me.

We've been home for two days now and I can't even begin to tell you how happy that makes me.  And Maylyn too.  She's told me that she's glad she's home as well.

Holding the friendship quilt her classmates made for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment